Le Cercle des Voyageurs

Live Music Venue/Lieu de Concerts

Cosy and Beautiful place where live concerts are organized every month. Everyone is welcome to enjoy and chill.
Bel espace dédié à la musique où des concerts sont organisés chaque mois. Tout le monde y est bienvenu.

vendredi 2 septembre 2011

Interview Of Mara Chandler

Le Cercle des Voyageurs had the great pleasure to receive Mara Chandler (Happycamp) for a live concert. It was the good occasion to interview her to learn a bit more about this amazing and talented artist. Follow us in our "HappyStory"! You will discover a very sweet and humous woman  whith whom the meaning of love of music takes all its sense.

Mara arrived, full of positive energy, complimented us about our venue while we were greeting her, and we sat on sofas to start the interview.

Le Cercle des Voyageurs (LCV) : Where do you come from?
Mara Chandler (MC) : I live in a little town west of Cleveland, Ohio, where I've lived pretty much my whole life.
LCV : Nice place :)
MC : Laughs... not many people really on purpose go to Cleveland for vacation or anything. But it's home to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.
LCV : Are you living there now?
MC : Yes I do.
LCV : Home to the rock and roll of frame and Museum... so your inspiration is more rock?
MC : Oh my inspiration is everywhere, lol. I have a really wide, ecclectic taste in music. I have an appreciation for all kinds of music...I attribute most of it to the way I was raised...
LCV : When did you begin to sing?
MC : I've been singing pretty much all of my life. For as long as I can remember. When I was 9 I have this memory of running around my grandmother's house with a notepad, rewriting songs I'd heard on the radio... and I did my first solo performance when I was 12 years old. I remember being so nervous... it was in a musical. But I always had this passion for singing, for music, for feeling the words and the music... always. My mother would crank up the radio when I was younger and clean the house. Aerosmith, Def Leppard, AC/DC... but also some Elton John, a bit of Bob Marley. But then I would go to my grandmother's home where I spent summers and she would play Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta James, Judy Garland, Peggy Lee, Elvis, The Supremes...I was exposed to a lot of different musical genres. Music was always a huge part of my life.
LCV : What about your rl experience? Have you had some live in rl?
MC : I have had performances, live ones, in RL. I used to give concerts at my church for Christmas for different special occassions. Typically the audiences for something like that were fairly small. As far as a large performance, no, I really haven't. The largest audience I ever had was about 260 people at a local Karaoke bar, where I earned a little following for a while. Other than that, the desire to sing was great, but just never went anywhere. I will say, I landed a golden ticket to an American Idol competition... I want to say 6 years ago, but because of RL committments, I couldn't go... it is a HUGE regret of mine.
LCV : 260 people is great :) And why did you choose sl?
MC : As far as singing in SL. Well, I didn't come into SL knowing much about it. I was trying to find my niche at first. My whole purpose on coming into SL was learning much about myself as a person and a sense of discovery. One day a friend took me to hear a live singer and I thought, "I would sooo love to do that." So I sang for a few friends who pushed me and motivated me to do it. It was really hard to gain confidence at first... it's not easy getting started here! But I've loved every moment of it!
LCV : Ok :) And can you tell us what is the difference for you between singing in sl and singing in rl? For you?
MC : Ooh that's a good question
LCV : Thank you :)
MC : In RL, there is such a focus on physical appearance, such a stigma on it. Really only in the past couple of years has society been more accepting that talent has nothing to do with what a person looks like on the outside. I don't consider myself ugly in RL by any means (lol), but I think we can all be a little self conscious of appearances due to society's conditioning. In SL, I can make my avi look however I want... she could be beautiful, ugly... she could be anything and it wouldnt' matter because people are there to hear my voice. They are there to focus on the passion, the emotion, the fun, the laughter of the song and the performance. To me, that is so much more important than the way a person looks. I love that about SL, how everyone is so accepting and welcoming... it's a heartwarming feeling.
LCV : I agree with you, in sl we are what we give :)
MC : Oh I love that! so true!
LCV : What are your best musical experiences in rl? and in sl?
MC : My best musical experience in RL by far is this opportunity I had once to put together a Christmas musical that my church performed. I wrote the script for the play, I chose the songs that would go along with it, I directed it, and I sang in it. It was the most amazing, inspiring feeling and people LOVED it. People were moved by it.
My best musical experience in SL... wow, I have to think about that one. I don't know that I have a BEST ONE. I mean, I can recall some performances that I felt were exceptionally horrible. lol. *I'm my own worst critic.* Actually I have the most amazing time when I sing songs from the heart. I enjoy singing the upbeat stuff, but when I have a set of songs that seems to touch people, seems to make them feel and think... and then after my show they hop into my IM to tell me... that is the BEST feeling. Anytime I can touch someone with my music, it warms my heart.
LCV : And have you also some funny experience in sl? When you sing?
MC : Oh my most memorable funny thing that happened at a live show was when I was performing at a club owned by a friend... it's sadly no longer in existance, but it was an 80's club. Kind of that fun, crazy vibe... it was owned by another live singer in SL, Henry Goodliffe. Well about 5 or 6 of the people there dressed up in pickle costumes and danced in front of me and all around me... I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. It was so fun! Everyone was laughing really really hard... and the thing is I LOVE those type of experiences. We all had a blast. It seems like it's people's aim at certain venues to get me to break my composure and laugh. I LOVE it!
LCV : lol I love to see it
MC : I have a picture! hahahahaha!
LCV :  Lol, can we see it? :p
MC : Sure!
LCV : Yay!
MC : Awww I can't find the picture, laughs
LCV : Do you come in SL only to sing? Or do you have other hobbies here? Any particular places you like ?
MC : I came into SL to discover who I am as a person, to meet awesome new people, to listen to fabulous music, to dream, to wish, to hope, to be inspired. I love going around to different Sims to see architecture, I LOVE shopping... OMG!! is that a crazy addiction. lol. I've been doing the live music cruise around. lol. Hitting up different venues like Kickin, Aces, Elegance Ballroom, etc. to hear people that are new to me. I also just like going to a club and dancing and having a good time. It all depends on my moods. lol. My favorite places to hang out... well, I LOVE to shop at the Four Seasons Fashion Mall... they have a lot of GREAT quality stuff there... I've been hanging out at Club TNT a lot because they always have some great Classic Rock there. I love doing Hunts too... it's a great way to get some awesome free stuff, but also a great way to learn about new places in SL. Otherwise, I sometimes just like to stay at home and listen to the stream and chill out.
LCV : We have finish our interview :) have you some more words you would like to let us know about you?
MC :  Just this... I put my heart and soul into every performance because I truly believe in the music I sing and how it touches people. I appreciate each and every person who has been inspired in some way by my singing. There are so many really amazing personal stories that people have shared with me after a show... they tell me how a certain song touched them because they can relate to it. And THAT is what makes every moment here worth it and what keeps me singing in this wonderful, huge, amazing world of Second Life.
LCV : thank you very much Mara :)

That's how we ended our great interview with this talented and kind Mara. She is a real artist, but keep acting with modesty. Freshness and spontaneity seem good words to qualify this conversation!

Interview by Chloe Seljan & Angiliak Crystal


This interview will be available the 30 of September also in our monthly magazine, displayed in our venue, our group and our subscribomatic.
Mara Chandler at Le Cercle des Voyageurs
September, 1st, 2011